Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lesson for the day

I spend way too much time on facebook.  But in my defense, it is how I stay in contact with my family and friends

I live in Utah and the majority of the people I know and love live east of me.  Way east of me.  Michigan, New York, Illinois, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and a few other scattered states.  Heather, my daughter, lives in California, which is west of me, doesn't count, because I am always on the phone with her when she is not invading my personal space up close and in real time. (Heather, I love you!  And you do count, just kidding).

But back to the facebook thing. 

Recently, one of my older brothers, Florida Bobby (who prefers to be called Bob, but that crap don't float with me), sent my baby brother Michigan John (who I did used to call Johnny, by the way) some pictures to scan into the computer and post on facebook.  What John found when he started the project (and was assisted by or did assist wife Sandy) was that a lot of the pictures were from ages ago and not all of them were labelled as to names of subjects in said photographs.

Problem solved.  An open call was put out to all the friends and family on facebook to help with the identification.  What has ensued in this endeavor is nothing short of a cyber family reunion.  We have posted, commented, tagged, captioned and just about peed our pants going back and forth trying to guess who is who, where was that one taken, I have that picture on my wall and I remember being there for that picture.  Michigan brother Larry (who is Lawrence, but so was our uncle, hence the nickname), North Carolina cousin Debbie, South Carolina cousin Sandy and so many more kicked in and helped out and generally put in their two cents worth.

We got the job almost done.  Some mystery pictures will hang out there forever I am sure.  That is ok, the archeaologists will find them and make something up.

So the lesson for the day is to caption, label, date and generally let everyone know what you can on the back of a picture so you don't have to go through all this.

Or not.  I am glad mom didn't write on some of her pictures!  I wouldn't miss this fun for anything.  Thanks, Dora Elizabeth Kathleen Hawkins Austin Akers White Roten Hicks for having me and all my siblings and also having the foresight to know not to write on the back of your precious, priceless collection!

3 comments:

  1. All I gotta say is that I better freaking count. And how come Mary A gets a blog just for her but I just get a silly mention in this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just dropped by to say "Hi." Are you a little under the weather? If so, you'll come thru with flying colors. -Karl

    ReplyDelete
  3. ITA -- There are about a million Zimmerman photos from the 30's-50's that my Dad (and Bill's) Uncle Bill took.

    We gotta get them labled before Dad & Uncle Bill get to heaven.

    ReplyDelete