Thursday, September 23, 2010

My hero Dave

Dave is my inspiration.  He had his esophagus removed due to cancer.  He underwent radiation and chemo prior to the surgery to shrink the tumor.  He did all this while cheering me on in my breast cancer battle.  With a smile and humor and so much more.  He still does.

He is back at work, where he has been itching to be for the longest time.  He works for Mark, my husband, so I get the usual "Dave says hi" along with all the other people that send their greetings.  The difference is, Dave calls me and checks on me all the time, either by calling Mark about work and then speaking to me, or calling me direct.  He is so genuinely concerned about me.  I have to dig it out of him for him to tell me how he is doing.

He has a lovely wife, Bonnie.  He has two daughters, Erin and Rondi, who each have a husband, Jed and Marshall, respectively.  And he has the apple of his eye, his granddaughter, Kate, who is two years old.  He loves to participate in activities with his family, such as camping and four wheeling and watching soccer games.

Yet he still takes time to keep up with me.  That means more than I could ever express.

Kate, your grandpa is going to be around for a long time for you.  His attitude demands it.

And I said so!

1 comment: